Child Care Educator
YMCA of Greater Toronto
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nonprofit / Social Services
Child Care / Before & After School Program Staff (RECE, CYW, OCT, SSW)
Are you looking for a rewarding career working with children?
Join our team that has been providing quality licensed child care programs for 50 years, and is recognized as one of the GTA’s top employers.
Supply, Part-Time and Salaried Split Shift Before & After School positions available throughout Caledon and Bolton at various YMCA locations (Palgrave, Alton, Belfountain, Herb Campbell, Caledon Central, Caledon East, St. Cornelius, Macville, St. Nicholas, St. John the Baptist, Ellwood, Holy Family and Humberview schools).
- Provides quality care to all children in a licensed childcare environment
- Actively engages with children, and ensures supervision and safety of children at all times
- Plans and implements a consistent child-centred program in accordance with YMCA curricula Playing to Learn and A Place to Connect
- Complies with the Child Care & Early Years Act and YMCA policies and procedures, including the YMCA Child Protection Policy
- Completes required documentation of children’s development and interactions
- Ensures positive, professional communication with families on an ongoing basis
- Other duties as assigned
- Registered Early Childhood Educator (RECE) OR
- Child and Youth Worker (CYW/CYC), Bachelor of Education (OCT), Recreation and Leisure Diploma, Social Service Worker (SSW), Developmental Services Worker (DSW), Educational Support Diploma, OR
- Experience working with children
- RECEs and OCTs must be registered with their governing regulatory body or be willing to obtain registration
- Passion for working with children and providing quality play-based learning within a licensed childcare setting
- Well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport with parents, children, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to use frequent light to medium physical effort: lifting up to 20 kg (44 lbs.), bending and stooping
- Must be able to work outdoors for at least 2 hours daily year-round; may be exposed to heat, humidity or cold
Successful candidates will be required to provide the following prior to the first day of work:
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR Level C certification
- Successful completion of Police Records Check dated within 6 months of your hire date
- Up-to-date immunizations and TB test
- Please be aware that opening shifts can start as early as 7:00am and closing shifts can end as late as 6:00pm
- Candidates interested in part-time supply work must have availability to work at least two afternoon shifts from 2:00-6:00pm weekly (Monday to Friday)
- Programs are closed on Saturday and Sunday
Salary & Benefits
- Registered Early Childhood Educator - $20.62/hour
- Early Learning Facilitator (OCT, CYW/CYC, SSW) - $20.06/hour
- Early Childhood Assistant - $16.96/hour
- Work/life balance and family friendly policies including YMCA Health and Fitness membership
- Professional development and training specific to Early Childhood Education and play-based learning principles
- Potential for career growth into supervisory or managerial roles
- Staff working in Split Shift positions are eligible for extended health care and dental benefits, as well as paid vacation and sick time, upon successful completion of probationary period
Only those individuals legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered for employment with the YMCA of Greater Toronto.
For more information about starting your career in child care at the YMCA of Greater Toronto, please visit: www.ymcagta.org/ECE.
Reference ID: 0023
Job Types: Part-time, Contract, Permanent
Salary: $16.96 to $20.62 /hour