Rural Response Counsellor
Website Family Transition Place
Family Transition Place provides a range for services in the County of Dufferin and Town of Caledon: Emergency Shelter for women and their children, Counselling (woman abuse, sexual abuse, addictions) Transition Support - Housing and Legal, Second Stage Housing, Support Within Housing, Rural Response Outreach.
RURAL RESPONSE COUNSELLOR
Full Time: 35 hours per week
The role of the Rural Response Counsellor is to focus on providing support to women in rural communities in the County of Dufferin and Town of Caledon. The Rural Response Counsellor will be engaged in: creating awareness, information and referral, providing crisis response and short term counselling using a variety of skills and technologies, and collaborating with referral sources and community response systems.
Responsibilities will include:
Providing community development and awareness initiatives
Providing crisis response service and information via telephone/email or in individual/video sessions to clients who are experiencing or who have experienced woman abuse and / or sexual abuse, as well as group counselling
Maintaining electronic data records (i.e. service events, referral sources) according to agency and funders’ requirement
Collaborating and advocating with referral sources and other community response systems
Participating in and assisting with the planning and organization of services
Qualifications and Core Competencies:
- Completed undergraduate level training in a relevant social service discipline or Community College level training with experience in a closely related field
- Eligible for registration with a Counselling/Social Work focused College or Regulatory body
- No previous violations or breach of professional practice standards
- More than 1 years’ experience providing violence against women or trauma focused crisis support, brief counselling and group work
- Familiarity with the links between violence, trauma, addictions and mental health issues
- Ability to incorporate into counselling an anti-oppression and women-centred framework using a trauma focused lens/approach
- Knowledge of crisis intervention strategies
- Ability to demonstrate empathy while maintaining objective analysis of client circumstances
- Ability to identify risk related to client services and taking appropriate action in consultation with Program Manager
- Professional attitude, self-starter, and flexible, with a strong follow through capability and attention to detail
- A current understanding of feminist philosophy
- Ability to demonstrate and maintain appropriate professional boundaries
- Decision making skills, including dealing with job related stress, guided by professional standards of practice
- Ability to build community relationships and partnerships
- Strong oral communication, report writing and case management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, independently and in a team
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week. Some evening and week-end work may be required.
Family Transition Place is dedicated to achieving a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
- S Prev